I know, I know. Two days later and I STILL haven’t posted about the iPhone and sundry Apple announcements on Tuesday. Other matters have distracted me, and I definitely plan to go into some depth on my thoughts about iOS5 and the new iPhone 4s. In the meantime, however, I think a quick post on perhaps the coolest new iPhone feature is warranted – Apple has finally brought to light the fruits of its acquisition of one of my favorite apps – Siri Assistant. Apple has baked Siri into iPhone 4s (but alas not iOS 5 as it requires the dual processor capabilities of the new phone). By now, you probably even know what Assistant does – it offers a voice-controlled, Artificial Intelligence – like experience from your phone. In essence, you can talk to your phone and get it to do all sorts of cool stuff for you. From all accounts, it appears that Siri is working quite well in its new, native iPhone form.
I bet you are wondering just what you can do with Siri. So was I. It appears you can do a lot more with it than you can with the third party Siri application I have been rocking on my iPhone for several years now. The following list of commands has been posted on several sites across the web and I hat tip them all. The list is impressive and it represents more assistance than I can secure collectively from my three children and sometimes even my husband, so I count that a plus:
- What’s Michael’s address?
- What is Susan Park’s phone number?
- When is my wife’s birthday?
- Show Jennifer’s home email address
- Show Jason Russell
- Find people named Park
- Who is Michael Manning?
- My mom is Susan Park
- Michael Manning is my brother
- Call my brother at work
- Set up a meeting at 9
- Set up a meeting with Michael at 9
- Meet with Lisa at noon
- Set up a meeting about hiring tomorrow at 9am
- New appointment with Susan Park Friday at 3
- Schedule a planning meeting at 8:30 today in the boardroom
- Move my 3pm meeting to 4:30
- Reschedule my appointment with Dr. Manning to next Monday at 9am
- Add Lisa to my meeting with Jason
- Cancel the budget review meeting
Asking about events
- What does the rest of my day look like?
- What’s on my calendar for Friday?
- When is my next appointment?
- When am I meeting with Michael?
- Where is my next meeting?
- Wake me up tomorrow at 7am
- Set an alarm for 6:30am
- Wake me up in 8 hours
- Change my 6:30 alarm to 6:45
- Turn off my 6:30 alarm
- Delete my 7:30 alarm
Checking the Clock
- What time is it?
- What time is it in Berlin?
- What is today’s date?
- What’s the date this Saturday?
Using a Timer
- Set the timer for ten minutes
- Show the timer
- Pause the timer
- Reset the timer
- Stop it
- Email Lisa about the trip
- Email Jennifer about the change in plans
- New email to Susan Park
- Mail Dad about the rent check
- Email Dr. Manning and say I got the forms, thanks
- Mail Lisa and Jason about the party and say I had a great time
- Check email
- Any new email from Michael today?
- Show new mail about the lease
- Show the email from Lisa yesterday
Responding to Messages
- Reply Dear Susan sorry about the late payment
- Call him at work
Checking Up on Friends
- Where’s Jason?
- Where is my sister?
- Is my wife at home?
- Where are all my friends?
- Who is here?
- Who is near me?
- How do I get home?
- Show 1 Infinite Loop Cupertino California
- Directions to my dad’s work
- Find coffee near me
- Where is Starbucks?
- Find some burger joints in Baltimore
- Find a gas station within walking distance
- Good Mexican restaurants around here
- Tell Susan I’ll be right there
- Send a message to Jason Russell
- Send a message to Lisa saying how about tomorrow
- Tell Jennifer the show was great
- Send a message to Susan on her mobile saying I’ll be late
- Send a message to 408 555 1212
- Text Jason and Lisa where are you?
- Read my new messages
- Read it again
Replying to Texts
- Reply that’s great news
- Tell him I’ll be there in 10 minutes
- Call her
- Play The Light of the Sun
- Play Trouble
- Play Taking Back Sunday shuffled
- Play Alicia Keys
- Play some blues
- Play my party mix
- Shuffle my roadtrip playlist
Creating and finding notes
- Note that I spent $12 on lunch
- Note: check out that new Alicia Keys album
- Find my restaurant note
- Create a reading list note
- Add Tom Sawyer to my reading list note
- Call Jason
- Call Jennifer Wright mobile
- Call Susan on her work phone
- Call 408 555 1212
- Call home
- FaceTime Lisa
- Remind me to call mom
- Remind me to call my mom when I get home
- Remember to take an umbrella
- Remind me take my medicine at 6am tomorrow
- Remind me to pick up flowers when I leave here
- Remind me when I leave to call Jason
- Remind me to finish the report by 6
- What’s Apple’s stock price?
- What is Apple’s PE ratio?
- What did Yahoo close at today?
- How is the Nikkei doing?
- How are the markets doing?
- What is the Dow at?
Checking the Forecast
- What’s the weather for today?
- What’s the weather for tomorrow?
- Will it rain in Cupertino this week?
- Check next week’s forecast for Burlington
- What’s the forecast for this evening?
- How’s the weather in Tampa right now?
- How hot will it be in Palm Springs this weekend?
- What’s the high for Anchorage on Thursday?
- What’s the temperature outside?
- How windy is it out there?
- When is sunrise in Paris?
Looking up information
- Search the web for Bora Bora
- Search for vegetarian pasta recipes
- Search the web for best cable plans
- Google the war of 1812
- Search Wikipedia for Abraham Lincoln
- Search for news about the World Cup
- Bing Alicia Keys
Using Wolfram Alpha
- How many calories in a bagel?
- What is an 18% tip on $86.74 for four people?
- Who’s buried in Grant’s tomb?
- How long do dogs live?
- What is the Gossamer Condor?
- What’s the square root of 128?
- How many dollars is €45?
- What was the Best Picture of 1983?
- How many days until Christmas?
- How far away is the Sun?
- When is the next solar eclipse?
- Show me the Orion constellation
- What’s the population of Jamaica?
- How high is Mt. Everest?
- How deep is the Atlantic ocean?
- What’s the price of gasoline in Chicago?